Do you want a fax number that will let you send and receive fax directly from your computer, without using a fax machine?
You can get your own free online fax number that will let you to seamlessly send and receive fax from Gmail or any other email account . There are no maintenance or set up fees, it’s FREE!
Online fax services instantly turn your email into a virtual fax machine and they are currently including a free online fax number. Email faxing has become the preferred choice for business because it is cost effective, fast and more reliable than traditional faxing.
What You Need to Get Started
It only takes a few minutes and all you need is:
- Computer or Laptop.
- Internet connection.
- Email fax service.
Email fax services will automatically forward your received faxes to your email and will also quickly send your faxes through your email, all this is done without having to worry about configurations or technical set ups. However, if you aren’t sure about using internet faxing then you can relax and enjoy a free 30 day trial so you can test drive and take your time to make a choice that works best for you.
Best Rated Google Fax Services
RingCentral – Click Here to Try it Free for 30 Days
- The most reliable and complete service that has won several awards and is the go-to solution for big companies offers several plans and prices that makes it accessible to any budget.
- You can get a free local or toll-free number and they also offer vanity fax numbers.
- You can keep your current fax number and transfer to their service.
- Currently the only offer their service in US, UK and Canada.
Nextiva Fax – Click Here to Try it Free for 30 Days
- Also the main faxing provider for well known business such as Target and All State, this service offers a basic yet efficient solution at a competitive price.
- Offers a free local or toll-free number.
- You can transfer your current fax number to their service.
- Only available in the US.
- This is the best solution for international businesses.
- Get a free local or toll-free number in over 40 countries.
- Free local or toll-free numbers in over a hundred cities worldwide.
Read more information on the best Google fax services.
When you sign up with an email fax service you will be able to pick your free internet fax number (some providers offer a local, toll-free or vanity number). Although this number is based online, you can receive and send email to any fax machine, anywhere in the world.
Pros of using an Online fax number:
- Anyone can send a fax to your fax number and you will automatically receive it online
- You don’t need an extra line, you don’t even need a phone line
- You can keep your current number if needed
- You no longer waste paper printing out useless faxes
- Stop junk faxes
- Handle business from wherever you are
Cons of Using a Fax Machine:
- Getting a dedicated phone line is expensive.
- Busy dial tones.
- Having to physically be in front of a fax machine to send or receive a fax.
- Expensive fees from telephone companies for each fax page.
How Your Gmail Fax Number Works
After you sign up you can begin start using your free fax number by simply creating a new email and instead of placing an email in the “To” field, you will be placing the fax number followed by the providers server (this will be supplied to you after you sign up).
For example if you sign up with RingCentral you would enter the fax number followed by @rcfax.com, so it would be email@example.com or another example firstname.lastname@example.org, remember to include the area code.
Then you can include any attachments by simply attaching documents to the email and when you are ready just click send and your fax is automatically sent.
Can I use my Google Voice Number?
Yes! There has been a lot of methods and suggestions on how to use a Google Voice number for faxing but unfortunately Google does not offer a fax service. However, I have personally taken my Google Voice number and transferred it to my RingCentral Office service, so now I can use the same number to receive/send faxes and also make and get calls without having to worry about having a busy line. Note, you have to use RingCentral Office for this feature.
Can I Use My Current Fax Number?
Yes, internet faxing services now allow you to use your current number with their service so that you can continue doing business without having to worry about updating all your information. This is called “number porting” and what it basically does is digitalize your fax number so that your incoming faxes can be forwarded as email.
The entire process could take up to 10 days, but this gives your number time to propagate and make sure that it is working properly. In the meantime most online fax providers will give you a temporary fax number.
Can My Number Be Linked to Several Emails?
Yes, because most providers will let you forward your faxes to more than one email if needed. This can come in very handy if you need faxes your faxes automatically sent to other contacts in your business, which saves you time from having to manually forward it to them.
How to Receive Fax Online
To receive a fax you just have to set up your account to forward incoming faxes to your e-mail(s). Once this is set up your received faxes will be automatically sent to your email and you will receive it has a PDF attachment.
Personally I am a RingCentral user so here is a quick example of how the set up process would go with this service (if you use another provider the process will be similar).
If you don’t set this up with RingCentral you will just receive an email notification of a received fax and you can log-in to your online dashboard to view it. Once you configure these settings you will receive the actual fax as a PDF attachment to your email. Here is an image of how to get it configured.
Using fax over internet services provides you with a lot of features that make faxing fast and easy without having to pay more. It’s easy to get started and only takes a few minutes to sign-up and be ready to send a fax from Google.